PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Merganser

Jeff Sorbie
07-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I think this is a Female Hooded Merganser but I am not 100% sure. Please help and feel free to C&C.

Taken @ Mud Lake in Ottawa.

Nikon D300s + Sigma 150-500mm

1/1000, f6.3, ISO 200, 500mm

Michael Rominger Jr
07-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Nice work with the Sigma especially wide open Jeff! I agree, they look like Female Hooded Mergansers or possibly juveniles? Like the green in the waterand overall comp. Exposure and sharpness look good to me. Would have liked the for the one on the left to have its head up as well. Also, I'm not sure if I like the log sticking out to the right or not. We'll see what the others have to say. Thanks for sharing!

gail bisson
07-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I have to agree with Michael . I really wish the HA was better on the chick. If this is not a big crop and you think the IQ of the image can stand it, I would crop the branch out on the right as it draws the eye away from the bird. I might even crop the top aff to get rid of the black sandback with all the specular highlights,
Gail

Marina Scarr
07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
The green water is lovely, and I think the comp and tree trunks work well as they are. The one on the right helps to balance the image. The waterfowl on the left troubles me a little. I just pulled this capture into PS. If your original is near full frame, you may wish to consider cropping the left merganser out of the picture altogether, and cropping a little more off of the right and bottom. It actually looks quite nice in terms of comp but not sure how much it would degrade your image.

Jeff Sorbie
07-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all the comments. This is close to being FF so I could try to crop some more but I kind of like the little one struggling to get on the log. I will post the after photo when allowed today...Better HA on both Mergansers and less BG. Thanks again.

PhilCook
07-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Another vote for keeping the right hand log in as it balances the image well, and myself I do like a natural setting for images and although the stump draws the eyes as well I find it compliments the overall composition, but I do find the oof rock in the background and darker bank a slight shame as it tends to alter the simplicity of the shot...but no biggie imo. Agree the secondary duckling would be nicer facing more towards the camera , but the perched duck is nice and sharp with good light in the eye