PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Seascape

dankearl
07-02-2012, 07:57 PM
A 600mm landscape taken while birding.
The homes across the bay are probably 2 miles away.

1/800, f8, iso250, 600mm (300 f2.8 w/ 2x), handheld, Nikon D800

DSC_1659bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=115086&stc=1&d=1341277023)

Robert Amoruso
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Dan,

I looked at this a while and do not believe this works as a Landscape image in a number of ways.

Firstly, the image is mostly about the seals and the encroachment of development on their habitat. Given that it works well as a statement on their plight.

Secondly, as a landscape, I feel the homes loom too large in the scene and diminish its impact overall. Perhaps if they were more OOF I would feel differently.

Thirdly, I feel landscape is taking a back-seat compared to the largeness of the seals and more importantly the impact of the homes doesn't work for me.

I like the balance the gulls provide in the image. Large enough to notice by small enough not to distract.

dankearl
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks Robert for your honest opinion.
I thought it captured a mood, or did for me, but I agree it is mostly about the seals, although
there are a lot of seals on the Oregon coast, so I was not that interested in the seals, themselves.
I thought the juxtaposition of the wildlife with the beach development had some interest, but I
respect your opinion. I actually took an f20 shot with the birding lens and got the homes in focus but
didn't like it very much at all, so I went with this one.

Morkel Erasmus
07-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Dan - I have to concur with Robert here on all counts :e3
I do find it very interesting that these seals roam so close to where the homes are being built...are they primarily holiday/weekend homes?

PhilCook
07-05-2012, 02:00 AM
I rather thought the large looking homes worked to indicate well the close bond between natural and man made, as Dan says, it has a mood/feeling .....and a story to stimulate the mind. Agree it is not really a landscape image, but for what it is I feel it works well. I guess it all comes down to what rocks ones own boat, but this kind of photography appeals to my tastes.

dankearl
07-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Actually the homes are about a mile across the bay from the Seals.
The 600mm lens distorts the distance, which is why I took it.
The homes are probably vacation homes, although the location is a town, Lincoln City, pop 4000, a fishing and tourist town on
the Oregon Coast.

Markus Jais
07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Might better fit in the wildlife category but otherwise I like this a lot. Great soft light. The houses in the background are great in my opinion. I like the composition in this shot.

Markus

Andrew Merwin
07-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I agree with Robert re. this image. Since I live in a land locked state, I find the seals & gulls much more interesting than McMansions. Frankly, seeing the McMansions in the BG irks me. I might try a pano crop to eliminate the houses.