PDA

View Full Version : Theme Black-bellied Plover

Bill Dix
07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't know if his brown flecks disqualify him from this month's theme, but I really liked the way his pattern/coloration matched the pebbly beach on The Tip at Point Pelee. Another great design by nature. I'd never gotten a close look at these guys in breeding plumage (I'm guessing this one is still in the final stages of his molt). He wandered toward me before I had a chance to remove the TC, so he's perhaps a little large in the frame. This is essentially full-frame (95%). C&C always appreciated.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4, ISO 640, 1/2000s @ f/7.1 manual, lowered tripod.

Stu Bowie
07-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi Bill, no problem with having a touch of browns for the theme. :w3 I like the alert pose with the raised leg. The plover is sharp, and interesting design pattern on the wing.

PhilCook
07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Never seen one of these before, great low angle and eye contact and agree the raised leg adds life to the image....full frame !...how in the world did you manage to get so close to a wader species ?

Alan Murphy
07-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Nice detail Good job with the light.

dankearl
07-02-2012, 07:26 PM
It is a bit large for me, but well done, Bill.
I definitely think it belongs as a B&W.
Cool looking bird.

Rachel Hollander
07-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Hi Bill - I imagine it does look like the pebbles from above. Nice low pov and pose with raised leg really adds to it. Looks like the light was tough, the whites on the forehead look a little hot to me.

TFS,
Rachel

Daniel Cadieux
07-03-2012, 01:40 PM
I like the raised foot and "pebbly" habitat. Good exposure and details. Yes to a bit big in the frame IMO. Looks to be some shadowing on the body and wing from the light angle that you had...some fill (or better alignment to the light) would have been good. Perfect candidate for the theme!!

Bill Dix
07-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree with all the critique. Too large. And the sun too high (not a cloud in sight) and too far to my right. I was sitting partially concealed behind a large boulder at the beginning of the pebble beach at The Tip, and couldn't position myself anywhere else without going out onto the tiny beach and spooking the birds. Which someone did just after this was shot, intent on getting a picture of her dog sitting on the southernmost tip of Canada. Bye bye birdie. But I suppose she had just as much right to her shot as I did to mine.