PDA

View Full Version : Airplane travel with 500 f/4

Flavio Rose
07-02-2012, 12:12 AM
I am in a situation where I need to move a Canon 500 f/4 (older version) across the country in an airplane trip. I have the standard Canon suitcase for it. Driving is not an option. Alternatives:

a) Finding a way to make the lens a carry-on and shipping its suitcase separately (maybe filled with other stuff). This will presumably involve buying a carrier of some sort for it.

b) Trying to move the lens in its suitcase as a carry-on, running the risk that I will be forced to gate check it since the suitcase is kind of big. (This will make for a very nervous flight as I will have all these visions of how they threw the lens suitcase into the cargo hold.)

c) Checking in the lens in its suitcase. (Ditto.)

Advice would be most appreciated. I am sure many of you have done this, but I'm very nervous, and have no applicable insurance.

Gerald Kelberg
07-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Hi Flavio,

Like you, I am nervous about having to check in my camera gear - but a few years ago I did travel across the US and back to Brussels carrying my 500 in its case without any problems. This was in addition to carrying a fairly heavy camera bag on my back (Lowepro Vertex). There were several flight/aircraft changes required, but I always managed to board early and there was room in the overhead lockers.

My suggestion would be to try checking in with a camera bag and hand-carrying the lens in its case. Then if you get unlucky and do need to check the lens case, switch the lens into the back-pack or literally carry it in your hand.

Good luck with it!

Gerald

Roger Clark
07-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi Flavio,

Is the case for the 500 airline legal (fits within their dimensions)? If so, then no problem. I carry my 500 in a photo backpack and have never had a problem with US carriers. If you do not fly much, the problem you might encounter is when you get to board: if you board later then there may not be overhead space and sometimes there is not room under the seat. Some airlines now sell premium seats for some $30 to $50 and that should allow you earlier boarding. Check with your airline. Whatever boarding group you are in, be sure to be towards the front of the boarding group to maximize your chance of getting overhead space.

If you fly internationally, watch the weight limits as some airlines have low weight limits and weigh bags. You can keep bag weight down by putting things in a photo vest (if you wear it it doesn't count as bag weight).

Roger

John Chardine
07-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Hi Flavio- I feel your anguish!!

For sure I would carry-on. The 500 case (I have one here) exceeds the carry-on size limits for Air Canada at least. I think their limits are pretty standard.

It sounds like you don't have a photo bag that would fit the 500. In this case I would take the lens to an outdoor store and buy a day-pack that would fit the lens. You can use some foam padding inside for protection.

David Stephens
07-02-2012, 09:45 AM
My 500mm fits in my Think Tank Airport International v.2.0 roller bag, along with two bodies, my 24-105mm, my 70-200mm, flash and other accessories. It meets US and International standards for overheads on full sized planes. I use it several times per year and I'm very pleased.

Joel Eade
07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Another vote for the Think Tank International ... plenty of space ... fits in overhead bins no problem.

Markus Jais
07-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Airplane travel with long lenses sucks but it works most of the time. Now, at least from Germany, weight limit is often 10 or only 8 kg which is not much when you also want to carry 2 DSLRs, a smaller lens and maybe 2 zooms and maybe binoculars and/or a spotting scope. On my last trip to Africa I only brought the 4/300L + 1.4x which was in that case a good idea as the 4/300 + 1.4 was much more flexibly in the car but next time I will bring both.

We had several photographers with us who had up to 17kg of carry-on luggage. They just told the nice people from South African Airways that it is really expensive (like the 4/500 VR from Nikon) and they had no trouble. Sometimes they had to store it at a special place at the front of the airplane but this was still where other carry-on luggage was stored.

In my experience, it is no problem most of the time when you talk to the people, but you never know in advance. But I never had a limit of less than 8 kg, so a 4/500L IS + 1.4x + DSLR should be no problem at all.

I also have seen photographers put all their smaller gear like cameras and smaller lenses in their backpack and reaching up to 10kg and then carry the 4/500 or even 4/600 in an extra bag that was made specifically for that lenses (several manufacturers offer those) and just carried this with them without problems.

Markus

Larry Handal
07-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I use a Kinesis bag that holds the 500 with both attached and lens reversed. Traveled with it to 4 continents without problems and fits and is leal in all overhead compartments of the carriers I have traveled on.
I have a pouch attached to it that holds a little more. I also carry a second bag with an additional body and extra lenses plus my iPad.
Only time It was not in my possession was on 4 seater Cesna.

Flavio Rose
07-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you very much. I sense a definite thumbs down on the baggage hold and thus on checking the Canon suitcase. Confirms my fears I guess.

Wondering now if insured UPS shipment (suitcase inside box) would be an alternative.

arash_hazeghi
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
The Canon 500 suitcase does not comply with FAA carry-on dimensions. However if you buy a ThinkTank airport security roller suitcase you will have zero problem taking it on board and placing in the overhead bin. It costs about the same as having the lens shipped round-trip insured with UPS plus you can use it again or even sell it when you are done. They are very popular.

Flavio Rose
07-04-2012, 06:22 PM
A couple follow up questions. I am thinking that if I have a connection (as originally planned), there is no security against getting gate-checked there because the connection could be late. (I have these vivid memories of running through Tokyo Narita last October to reach my connecting gate, luckily carrying only an E-PL1.) This further argues, I think, against taking the lens with me versus shipping it UPS. Or not? This also argues for a more expensive direct flight, hmm.

I do not expect to travel with the lens again in an airplane, though who knows, so I am reluctant to spend $400 on a bag. This is a one-way trip.

I also unfortunately have a Gitzo and Wimberley, which are useful for shooting with the lens despite its IS. I assume those at least can go in checked luggage?

Thanks again.

Markus Jais
07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
@Flavio: I put tripod + Wimberley + other heads (e.g. for macro work) in the checked luggage.

I also know from one photographer that we wraps his Nikon 4/600 VR in cloth and puts it in the checked luggage and everything else in carry-on luggage. But I don't think that I would feel comfortable with this and I also don't think my
insurance would cover this if it get's damaged or stolen.

I really wish you could just pay the airlines a small fee (like 50 euros) and then take 15 or 20kg of carry on luggage but I think this is not a matter of money but of available space in the aircraft.

Markus

Flavio Rose
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you very much.

Gary Kinard
07-25-2012, 11:41 PM
You know I travel internationally allot. From the US to asia about 4 times a year. At first I bought an expensive bag. And all the other stuff. After a few years of being hassled. I bought a cheap luggage carry on bag with rollers. Lined it with foam and custom partitioned it. It cost me about 75 bucks. I carry now a 500 f4L and a 300 f2.8 with me everywhere I go with not one hassle in two years. So for me looking like a general tourist and not one with a special bag and special needs has suited me to a tee.
That is just me. Everyone has there own views on travel. I have done so much. Just be careful on the local flights. Before I started to use regular luggage I was boned allot.
Big planes not ever hassled once.