PDA

View Full Version : Tigerwing Butterfly in habitat

Bob Miller
07-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I know this isn't exactly macro but i wanted to post in this forum for the expertise I have seen here. This butterfly was taken at a butterfly garden outside DC. The little guy seems to being striking an attitude pose that i really liked.
Nikon D3s
180 mm Tamron macro
1/250 at f 5.6
ISO 1600
All comments welcome! cropping?

Jonathan Ashton
07-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes it works for me I like the setting, you could play around a little with the highlights in the background but I think that would destroy the natural setting. My only suggestion would be to check out the greens they look very saturated to me.
You have excellent differential focus on the butterfly and good lighting too. I like the shot very much (apart from the greens -sorry!)

Ed Cordes
07-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I, too, find the greens a bit over done. I like the DOF and overall exposure. A crop from the left would give a bit more drama?

LindaHarden
07-04-2012, 07:51 AM
I agree with what the others said but at the same time I really like this photo as it is. It causes me to imagine a miniature world that we don't see every day. I would not improve the technical aspects of the photo if it causes a loss of that expression... so I'm not sure what suggestion I would make.

Bob Miller
07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks you Linda.....I too really liked that other world look....I will probably lower the green saturation a bit but not too much ....like you say!

Steve Maxson
07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Bob. I agree about the greens. The butterfly gave you an excellent pose, you have very good sharpness, and I like the comp as presented. F/5.6 worked well to separate the butterfly from the background. Like Jonathan, I find the background highlights a little distracting, but they aren't blown and it's not a deal breaker for me. I like the "rainforest" feel of the image too. Very well done!