PDA

View Full Version : Tripod - still agonizing

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-18-2008, 04:13 AM
It's me again! I have pretty well satisfied myself a Gitzo is the answer. Could any one advise me please, (and - perhaps Artie if you spot this could you explain):
You recommend the 3530 but I get the impression you are using the 3540 mostly, and also with the bottom leg extension retracted - have I understood correctly?
As I understand it the latter has 4 section legs and extends higher. I am 5' 10" or 1.78m tall so would the 3530 be a better bet, I also guess the fewer the extensions the more rigid the tripod. I presume the 3530 not fold up so small but I am not too sure this is really an issue.

Thank you
Jon

Rocky Sharwell
04-18-2008, 06:09 AM
I think the model I have is the 3530SLV--It is what Artie suggested. It fits just find in just about any suitcase that I own.

Robert O'Toole
04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I see Artie using the GT3530 about 99% of the time. The taller 4 section has bottom leg diameter about the same as a crayon. The extra height is nice but the downside is the pinkie diameter tube and the extra work and time with the added leg lock.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
I own the GT3530 and sometimes I find that I am forced to bring the legs inwards to give me an inch or 2 more height, especially with uneven slopes.

The folded size is never really an issue as I own an SUV so I leave the tripod extended for weeks and only fold it when I travel. Then it fits in a suitcase with the head removed.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-18-2008, 11:08 AM
So a 3530 it is! Thank you, at last you will be pleased to know my mind is now at rest!
Jon

Susan Griffith
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
What center column would you use with the GT3530? I have been looking at tripods for a while now and will want to be able to use a 500mm on down to doing some macro work with a 180mm macro...

-Susan

Robert O'Toole
04-18-2008, 02:12 PM
The problem with a center column on a Gitzo is that it limits the min height of the tripod. With the flat plate and no center column, the GT3530 will allow you to shoot very close to ground level with the legs spread out flat.

My favorite way to use my Macro lens is handholding with flash.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-18-2008, 03:17 PM
My favorite way to use my Macro lens is handholding with flash.

In many cases this is my preferred option, I use a Stofen Omnibounce with a dedicated flash gun. I used to use two flash guns - a Viitar 283 and another very much less powerful one. The former was placed high and to the left angled slightly inwards and the latter immediately adjacent to the lens and this provided a little fill in. I used to have a big battery strapped to mey belt. Under these circs I have found a monopod useful - it eliminates vertical travel,
Reecntly I have tried to use just daylight and a tripod, also an electronic cable release - much more demanding but when it works - IT WORKS.
Jon
Jon

David Kennedy
04-18-2008, 05:15 PM
What center column would you use with the GT3530? I have been looking at tripods for a while now and will want to be able to use a 500mm on down to doing some macro work with a 180mm macro...

-Susan

I agree with Robert: you don't want to own a center column, or anything, for that matter, that would fit in the space where the flat plate resides. Being able to put the tripod flat on the ground can be absolutely invaluable.

Alfred Forns
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Jonathan with the current models the four leg section is a lot more stable than the older ones Still I would go with three !!!!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-19-2008, 02:31 AM
I agree with Robert: you don't want to own a center column, or anything, for that matter, that would fit in the space where the flat plate resides. Being able to put the tripod flat on the ground can be absolutely invaluable.

Have I understood correctly, when I buy the Gitzo 3530, the flat plate is an additional conideration, i.e. if I buy the tripod I only get 3 legs?
Jon

Sandra Nykerk
04-19-2008, 09:01 AM
My experience has been that with only the flat plate, the legs will collapse inward when trying to pick up the tripod and lens to move it even only a very short distance. I ended up getting the center extension column just to add some stability and not have everything turn into a pretzel. However, I am small and do not have the strength that a big guy has to easily manipulate the tripod and legs with a 500mm lens atop. It's much easier for me to handle since I put the regular center column on the tripod. I still have the flat plate if I should want to get closer to the ground but I use a different tripod for macro shots. Just another consideration.

Robert O'Toole
04-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi Sandra if the legs collapse inwards or downwards with gravity in many cases you can just tighten the fasteners on each side of the leg joint to solve the problem.
An important issue here also is one of balance. In my workshops and when I co-lead/lead with Arthur Morris I always make a point to show the participants how to carry the tripod on the shoulder. All of the weight should be balanced to the point that it will rest on you shoulder without your hands. Then if the leg joints are properly tight they legs should stay in place although I recommend bending them inwards so there is less chance of an accident.

Robert

David Kennedy
04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Have I understood correctly, when I buy the Gitzo 3530, the flat plate is an additional conideration, i.e. if I buy the tripod I only get 3 legs?
Jon

Not at all--the flat plate is the standard outfit. Susan was asking about optional center columns that you can buy to replace the flat platform that comes with the 3530....actually, the 3530 SLV comes with two platforms: a flat one and a domed one for video. You'll want to use the flat one. What you do with the other is anyone's guess....

Jonathan Michael Ashton
04-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Jonathan with the current models the four leg section is a lot more stable than the older ones Still I would go with three !!!!

Alfred, if the four leg is more stable why would you go for the three? I guess if the fourth extension was the "weak link" as it were it could be left unextended and the tripod would still be steadier than the three leg model??

Jon

Sandra Nykerk
04-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Robert, I did tighten them somewhat but had to back off because then they were too stiff for me to be able to move. I finally arrived at a happy medium where they are tighter, but still maneuverable, but adding the center column was what did the trick for me. Again, small frame, very small hands with very little strength. YMMV.

Alfred Forns
04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Main advantage of the four leg section is shorter when folded from traveling (on of them)

The new three section model is strong enough I can use it with a 600 lens Before I would switch to the 1548 for the bigger lens The 600 would go on the 1325. When walking long distances weight is a big deal No only the lens/tripod/head but all the other gear !!!

btw when I had a 500 prior to switching to Nikon I would use the Mongoose 3.5 with the 1325/500 lens Saved lots of weight !!! There is no ideal set up just what works for you!!!