PDA

View Full Version : Spot-tailed Nightjar

Lorant Voros
06-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Here is another rarely seen and photographed bird, the Spot-tailed Nightjar; the sweetest bird on Earth. I could take this photo thanks to my good friend Manuel Grosselet, who located the bird and walked through the Veracruz marsh vegetation (home of venomous snakes) with me at night holding the spot light, so I could take this photo among several others. I had to use quite a lot of jpeg compression in order to fit into the size limit. Hope it is still good for viewing.

1DMKIV
500mm
ISO400
F: 6.3
1/250
Flash
Almost FF (cropped for composition)

PhilCook
06-29-2012, 07:14 PM
We have similar birds here, but thankfully ours live in dry semi=desert regions and not snakey swamps lol.....even so I have not yet been able to photograph one sadly. Considering the difficulties in getting this image it is remarkable, right down to the caterpillar on the twig. ...enviable image

Michael Rominger Jr
06-29-2012, 11:14 PM
I agree with Phil, enviable image Lorant! Good job on going the extra mile to track this fella down and capture this wonderful image. Sharpness and exposure look spot on and nice bonus with the midnight snack hanging on the perch! Perch is a little cluttered but who can really complain about that considering the lenghts to get the image and the rarity. Thanks for sharing!

Dave Leroy
06-30-2012, 09:51 AM
It is a beauty. I really like the dark earthy colors of the bird. Nice and sharp as well.
Your adventure paid off handsomely.

Alan Murphy
06-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Such a great image. I would go a bit brighter though.

DanieBenade
06-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Nice sighting and very well captured.

arash_hazeghi
06-30-2012, 02:11 PM
great image Lorant, agree with making it brighter

Sidharth Kodikal
06-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Awesome bird, love the worm and great job with the flash - doesn't have the flashed look.
Looking forward to more from your adventure.

Lorant Voros
06-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I will try making it brighter. I could also imagine a better perch, but I am already very happy with the one the bird choose, especially the caterpillar on it:-).