PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron - Dragon Fly Breakfast

Jeff Sorbie
06-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Here is a shot after the Green Heron caught this Dragon Fly. For a small bird they sure can strech their necks out (see previous post). He caught this right out of the air above his head.

Taken @ Mud Lake, Ottawa

Nikon D300s + Sigma 150-500mm

1/800, f8, ISO200, 500mm

Richard Unsworth
06-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Nice behaviour and enviro shot, very atmospheric, handled well in strong light. I like the fact that the Dragonflies wings can even be seen in detail

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Nick Palmieri
06-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Looks like pretty harsh light but you managed to get some very nice behavior. I wish the BG was a little more subdued. Nice detail in the heron. TFS

Joe Senzatimore
06-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Nice pose and the meal helps the image tell a story. Harsh light which seems to hurt this a bit. Might tone down the bg a bit.

Jeff Sorbie
06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks all. I was on my way back to my car this morning when I spotted this little one hunting. Was getting close to 11am if I remember correctly so the light is not ideal. Now that I know where it feeds I will be watching for it.

WIlliam Maroldo
06-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi, after I posted my green heron/ dragonfly image I noticed yours. I think your biggest problem, as mentioned already, is the harsh light (high contrast light). I try to avoid it if at all possible , since it usually has no satisfactory post processing solution. Also, I think a wider aperture would have been called for, and thus a more blurred background. regards~Bill