PDA

View Full Version : Least Tern chicks; comp advice sought

Bill Dix
06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
These little guys hunkered down behind a log, sheltered from the stiff breeze. There they waited, along with me, for a parent to show up with food. The few times she did appear, they ran to meet her in a spot that was obscured from view, so I never got the feeding shot I was after. I'd love some advice on the comp. I wanted to keep the birds small in the frame. I like the way the colors of the pebbles (LLC) and sand match the birds, and the way the line of the ground slope extends from the pebbles up toward the birds' eyes, intersecting with the lines of the log and grass at the point of interest. But the foreground space leaks out on the left, possibly drawing the eye into the void. What do you think? I'll post an alternate comp in the next pane.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4, ISO 640, 1/1600s @ f/8 manual, tripod at lowest position.

Bill Dix
06-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Here's an alternate comp. I think I like the OP better, but would appreciate your opinions.

Rachel Hollander
06-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Bill - I much prefer the first comp. I think the end of the log adds interest and in the second comp the log just feels like a barrier. That being said, there seems to be a very slight blue/cyan cast in the log, easy to fix if so inclined.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
06-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Your first comp works extremely well, Bill. You have so many textures here: grasses, pebbles, granules of sand, log and fuzzy chicks. You have a nice low angle, good light and a great angle on both fuzzballs. I would be very happy with this capture.

gail bisson
06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
Another vote for the OP. I love the pebbles in LLC. And the chicks are soooo small. I love all the textures in this image as well and love the pop of green from the grass. great that you got catchlight in both eyes.
Well done Bill!
You have really improved over the last year. Keep it up!
gail

Sidharth Kodikal
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Yet another vote for the OP, Bill. This is a terrific image for all the reasons already mentioned.
I love it as is, but I were to change anything, it'd be removing the couple of OOF green blobs from the bg.

christopher galeski
06-28-2012, 02:36 AM
very nice Bill,good light and pose,agree on first post.thanks.

Daniel Cadieux
06-28-2012, 06:19 AM
The OP works wonderfully. The pebbles are woth including by both their shape and colour. I love that grass adding a touch of green. Very well seen and executed image.

Grace Scalzo
06-28-2012, 07:46 AM
You combined a bunch of elements in your OP perfectly to create an image full of interest and subtle details while at the same time not taking away from the chicks. I think it's a brilliant comp Bill and i would not change one thing. Bet this would make a nice large print that would be a pleasure to stand back and view.