PDA

View Full Version : You Looking At Me?

Rachel Hollander
06-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Not the best light on Machias Seal Island but I liked the cocked head of this puffin. Often in the blinds it felt like the puffins were observing us as much as we were observing them.

Canon 7D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/1250
f9
ISO 400
HH from blind, cropped slightly, levels, curves, selective dodging and burning, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Jim Crosswell
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM
The pose does give the impression he is checking you out. I like the perch, BG and orange reflection from the feet on the white feathers. Well done Rachel!

Sachin Saraf
06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Nice Pose but light is very harsh here and I know we can only get better light there when it is cloudy. Beak looks OOF to me but that could be because I am seeing this on work laptop. Let others chime in and see.

Bruce Enns
06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi Rachel, you did well with the light available...it is an interesting pose. I agree that the bill is a bit soft. I would like to see a bit more of the eye.

Thanks for posting!

Bruce

gail bisson
06-27-2012, 04:14 AM
I like the inquisitive pose.
Thanks for answering my questions about Machias Island. I was seriously considering a visit but am bummed about the times you get on the island-so late for photogs. I guess one prays for cloudy skies!!
You really figured out the light and exposed well for the whites but that harsh light is a bummer,
Gail

Stu Bowie
06-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi Rachel, the inquisitive pose makes this image. I like how the puffin is against the blue BG, and the only negative about shooting from a hide, is that one is restricted with regards to the light angles.

Robert Holguin
06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Real nice shot. I really like the pose, whites exposed very well, and great comp.
Well done.

Rachel Hollander
06-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Yes, between being restricted to the blinds and the time of day you can land on the island, it makes the light very difficult. Unfortunately, I had bright sunny days without a cloud in the sky all 3 days. It is still a fantastic experience and if you like puffins, it is hard to imagine somewhere better to observe them.

Thanks again,
Rachel