PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Sunrise

Steve Wheeler
04-17-2008, 07:28 PM
While there are lots of birds, I thought this more landscape oriented so here we go. Taken last Thanksgiving at Bosque del Apache while waiting for the blast off. For reasons still as yet unclear, we decided to pack up and go down the road BEFORE the blast off. Just as I got to the truck of course.... All H&$*L broke loose. My immediate reaction was COMPLETELY PISSED, but that only lasted as long as it took for me to turn around. What an AMAZING site AND SOUND. I had never experienced anything like that.

I don't do landscapes (barely do birds) so any thoughts or feedback is most appreciated!

Steve

30D & 24-70 f2.8L @ 57mm, f7.1 @ 1/640, ISO 800 / A single image cropped top and bottom.

Leroy Laverman
04-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I like it Steve. I think this would make a nice print for your wall.

Steve Wheeler
04-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you Leroy!

Paul Pagano
04-17-2008, 08:33 PM
This is very nice, Steve. I agree...frame it..

David Kennedy
04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
...For reasons still as yet unclear, we decided to pack up and go down the road BEFORE the blast off. Just as I got to the truck of course.... All H&$*L broke loose. My immediate reaction was COMPLETELY PISSED, but that only lasted as long as it took for me to turn around. What an AMAZING site AND SOUND. I had never experienced anything like that....A single image cropped top and bottom.

The birds were pretty weird about when--and how (in)frequently--they would blast off this past year. I would probably suggest a couple of things: the image doesn't really have a natural break on the left or right side. Clean edges, especially with groups of birds, is especially hard. However, with some clever cloning (or quick-masking), you can fix this.

You mentioned that you cropped from the top and bottom. I wonder if you didn't go down a little too far from the top. The wisp of a dark cloud at the top edge is a little distracting, so I'd like to see either more of it or none of it.

The other thing you might consider doing is a little Local Contrast Enhancement (USM at 20%, Radius 50, Threshold 0 to start, but you can tinker with the amt. and radius).

Harold Davis
04-18-2008, 04:40 AM
I think it is fantastic!!

Robert Amoruso
04-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Steve,

Overall, this image works well. I am not concerned with the birds cut-off at the left and right edges. I think we all know this type of subject has the birds extending past the edge of the frame - so be it. I agree with David on the cloud on top. On the bottom, though I am not dis-satisfied with it, I wonder if you cropped less, would we have more water, thus anchoring the bottom more; or are more birds going to protrude into the image. Here, on the bottom edge, I would recommend clone protruding heads/bodies.

As for flying birds getting cropped at the left and right edges of the image, those I will clone - but that is not a problem here.

Nice work.

Steve Wheeler
04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Thank you guys for your comments... All greatly appreciated!

When I cropped I was looking more at the position of the horizon line relative to the top and bottom edges of the frame (trying to keep it out of the center of the frame) than what I was actually inlcuding in the frame i.e. pieces of clouds and such. (Can't see the forest for the trees sometime.) Also trying to maintain a pano style crop. There is more open water (wo/ birds) along the bottom edge that has been cropped so there's some "Clean Room" there to play with.

Thanks again everybody... Will look at adjustments when I get home tonight.

Steve

Roman Kurywczak
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Steve,
I'm a little late to the party. I agree with a little more sky....and base. Very little. I also like the RAD-K (Robert Amoroso/David Kennedy) (I'm calling it that from now on.............has a cool ring to it) local contrast enhancement. since I brought it inot PS to try.............came up with an alternate crop you might want to try also.........just another option . As is..........I like the original and with the above mentioned nits fixed..............I think this will be great.
Roman

PS Robert A............Robert OT..says...."friends don't let friends clone".:D