PDA

View Full Version : Local Smurf

PhilCook
06-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Superb Fairy-wren

Home sick with the flu the last few days so not getting about at all, but went for a quick walk to the end of the street this afternoon to the small local park. I don't often see the Superb Fairy-wrens that close to home but it seems Winter weather tends to make some birds forage further afield, including a small family of these Wrens { Smurfs as I affectionately call them :tinysmile_shy_t: } This is the only male in the small group of 4, who briefly sat atop a rock for his picture, unusual behavior as they normally scurry about dashing from bush to bush.

Bit of a rush shot during a quick walk, and no flash or tripod used, just an opportune shot to satisfy my need to click a shutter button :e3

Canon 7D + 500 f4 + 1.4 x TC....700mm, f 5.6, 1/640, ISO 800, +0.3 EV, approx 20 feet from subject, hand held, no flash, in shade on a dull Winters day

Small crop, cloned out some background flower heads and smoothed plus noise reduction to backdrop only

Ryan Schain
06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
I like the bird, perch, and background. The image seems to lack much fine detail, especially noticeable in the throat and eye, and a head angle more towards the viewer would have been more ideal. I'd definitely sharpen more.

Ofer Levy
06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Sweet! You did well with the poor light.

Sidharth Kodikal
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Gorgeous fella, excellent pose, comp and a nice bg.
Very nice, especially considering this is a grab shot (couldn't tell).
Get well soon!

Frank Schauf
06-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Beautiful and colorful image. Sharp and well composed.

Joe Senzatimore
06-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Hope you get well soon and get out to do more of these fine "grab shots". This is real nice for a "quickie".

gail bisson
06-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I love your nickname for this bird.
I lived in Melbourne for a year and only saw them once- they are very beautiful birds. I like the BG and perch.
I agree with Ryan that you need a bit more sharpening in the head and neck area.
Great shot for a grab shot though especially HH with a 1.4x.
Gail

rajojomanik
06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Hope you are feeling better Phil.

I like the pose and nice clean background, these are such beautiful birds.

Rachel Hollander
06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Phil - you did well for a grab shot, especially while hh the 500 while sick. Cute bird, pose and nice bg. Hope to see more of them once you're feeling better which I hope is soon.

TFS,
Rachel

Peter Scholer
06-27-2012, 02:59 AM
The blue and green works so well. Excellent pose. They sure are hard to capture always moving. Considering the conditions this is excellent.

Jim Crosswell
06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
I like the pose, perch, BG and composition. Well done considering the challenging conditions!