PDA

View Full Version : Going Old School (Film Question)

Doug West
06-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Don't know why, but I have the urge to do some film shooting. Guess I miss it. I haven't shot
film since 2006 when I went from my Minolta 700si to the Canon 20D.

I recently picked up a Canon A2 with grip for about $30. Since I have the 400 F5.6
and my 600 non/IS, I figured, why not?

Since its been 6 years, have a few film questions.

I'll probably be going the Fuji route, slide film. It looks like Provia 400x is my only option?

As far as processing, does anybody know/recommend a lab that processes slide AND
can create hi-res cd's (non of that 72 dpi crap)? Cause I'm thinking I'll probably still want
to do some pp and using a regular scanner probably won't cut it.

Thanks
Doug

Grady Weed
06-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Have you tried http://www.MPIX.com Doug?

Doug West
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
In the past, yes. But it doesn't look like they do processing. Looks like I'd need
the file first to upload.

Maybe my best option would be to stick with print film and just scan the prints
myself?

Doug

Nick Palmieri
06-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Have you tried Adorama? I thought they still did film...

Doug West
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Turns out one of our local shops, Dodd Camera actually still processes slide film and offers the option of
prints and according to them 4000dpi cd's. At least that's what their price sheet says. Hopefully their
sheet wasn't last updated 6 years ago :) This will make it a heck of a lot easier than sending this
stuff out in mailers.

Doug

Grady Weed
06-29-2012, 07:37 PM
It is always nice when you can put your "fingers around the throat" of the vendor. In other words, it is local and reliable for warranties etc. Hope it works out for you. Fuji Provia or Velvia slide film is still sweet!