PDA

View Full Version : Kgalagadi Leopardess

Rudi van den Heever
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
This is my favorite image of this awesome sighting at the Cubitje Quap waterhole near Nossob in the Kgalagadi Tranfrontier. I was busy photographing the thousands of doves that came in to drink, when she emerged from the tall grass in sweet morning light just after sunrise, walked gracefully to the waterhole, drank for a while and then made her way to a nearby tree in the dry riverbed of the Nossob river.

Unfortunately I do not have more space at the bottom...

Equipment: Canon 7D and 500mm F4 lens
Settings: 1/3200 at F4 and ISO 200

Morkel Erasmus
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
I must admit that I cringed when I saw this. How many times have I been to that waterhole...and I am still leopard-less in the Kgalagadi. :Whoa!:
Super super light, interesting pose, nice job on making the waterhole look very natural with your cropping.

If anything - perhaps a hint more sharpening on the cat? Very slight? :w3

Dumay de Boulle
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I think the IQ and the colors are perfect. Great pose, shooting angle is to die for and man your patience has paid off and you got a lovely image!

Andreas Liedmann
06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
I would go with Morkel and Dumay . Plus one from here.
Excellent image.
Cheers Andreas

Vivaldo Damilano
06-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Just perfect Rudi, love the pose and light. Love it well done.

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2012, 04:02 PM
Great indeed Rudi, just wonder why f/4 as you had the SS and the BKG would still have been excellent & diffused with the kit?

TFS
Steve

Mark Wiseman
06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi Rudi,
WOW!!!! A beautiful image with that wonderful golden Kalahari light. Qubitjie rocks and besides the leopard, what a wonderful background. Well done Rudi. I cannot wait for my next trip.
Best wishes,
Mark.

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Rudi - it has all been said above - gorgeous light, pose and bg. Congrats!

TFS,
Rachel

RakeshDhareshwar
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Love the IQ , the colours and the 'just about to vanish ' pose !! Awesome work and from what I gather from Morkel's comment ......very very lucky !!!

Tom Graham
06-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Beautiful light but I'd like to see at least one of the rear feet/paws.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Beautiful light but I'd like to see at least one of the rear feet/paws.
Tom

Tom - have you seriously managed to get all 4 feet visible of every big cat you've photographed? :w3

Tom Graham
06-26-2012, 01:11 AM
"Tom - have you seriously managed to get all 4 feet visible of every big cat you've photographed? :w3"

Of course I have :bg3:

Depends on composition and POV of the big cat. In this case both rear legs are in view but just the paw(s) is missing. If one, or both, leg(s) were not visible then I would not miss seeing its paw. Not that it is absolute requirement, just that I think it would benefit the composition. Composition is rarely discussed here BPN, the techs always having priority.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Composition is rarely discussed here BPN, the techs always having priority.

With all due respect: I disagree - composition is frequently discussed. Perhaps you need to actively participate in more threads/discussions before making assertions such as this. :Whoa!:

Depends on composition and POV of the big cat. In this case both rear legs are in view but just the paw(s) is missing. If one, or both, leg(s) were not visible then I would not miss seeing its paw

Having been there - there was nothing Rudi could do from his POV. You are confined to your vehicle, and the cat is sitting on the other side of a rock-encircled waterhole. If the cat doesn't position herself in a different way, you can only but snap what you see. :w3

Rudi van den Heever
06-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone! It is really appreciated!:bg3:

Steve, I made a conscience decision before our trip that I am going to attempt to shoot at the lowest possible ISO's for every specific situation to get more IQ, seeing that the 7D sometimes bother with the noise and I tend to push up my shutter speed to unnecessary high figures - here F4 gave me just a tad more shutter speed in the low light...

Tom, Morkel is spot on as far as the terrain is concerned... Unfortunately she was so quick to appear and vanish again, that I had to take every second to compose, shoot and hope for the best. I have many shots before and after she drank at the waterhole where the feet and/or the tail are cut off, as I shot with the 500mm and did not want to waste time on reaching for the 100-400mm on my other camera.... Hey, this was my first leopard EVER, so the nerves skyrocketed!!!:tinysmile_shy_t:

Steve Kaluski
06-26-2012, 03:05 AM
Good call on the ISO Rudi.

here F4 gave me just a tad more shutter speed in the low light... 1/3200 - a tad more in SS, indeed. :bg3:

Try +10 (figure optional) in Brightness as an adjustment layer and use selectively, see what you think.

Stephen Earle
06-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Perfect Rudi.

Harshad Barve
06-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Great image Rudi and Happy Birthday !!!!
TFS

Ken Watkins
06-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Perfect Rudi.

I agree with Stephen's comment entirely

Rudi van den Heever
06-29-2012, 04:41 AM
Thanks for taking the time to view and comment everyone! It really is appreciated! Yip, she was awesome!!!!:S3:

Shreyas Mantri
07-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Superb shot Rudi. Absolutely love it!

Steve Uffman
07-16-2012, 09:59 PM
First leopard? well you are off to a flying start. Beautiful light and composition. also love seeing such a beautiful image with the 7d.

Rudi van den Heever
07-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks Shreyas!

Gregor Bergquist
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh wow, killer shot. She is so beautiful I think I am in love. You ******* :S3:

Rudi van den Heever
07-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks Gregor!