PDA

View Full Version : Warthog

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Well following the 'theme' of low level, here is one from shot under the jeep, a location I quite like, LOL. Sadly this falls into a similar camp to young Morkel's image comment. All lined up, plenty of room around (with the 500mm) and just before you hit the trigger the subject moves, even closer, hence the clipped hairs above and very little FG below. I will also like to raise a very valid point that Russell made too, and that is for any low level shot you do need more FG below to give the viewer the picture and to understand where this was shot.

Taken around 4.39pm

Steve
Subject: Southern Warthog (Phacochoerus africanus sundevallii)
Camera: Canon MKIV
Lens: 500f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/320s at f/5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop (original capture horizontal)

Removed a couple of offending grass stems over front leg & a couple of old sticks LHS in the FG

Harshad Barve
06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
too tight at bottom as well top , busy BG , front paw not sharp , rear paw OOF , tail not sharp ,
Doesn't work for me
TFS

Russell Johnson
06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
I have many of these images myself, always too much lens, especially when I manage to get myself a great low perspective like this.

As I am sitting on a train to Newcastle with the worlds worst laptop screen, can't comment on colour etc. :)

My take is slightly different, yes the image is a little tight, though I do like the motion in the tail and front paw, it adds that additional element to the frame. If it were static, I believe that I would focusing more on the negatives....

An option to consider. Would it be worth cloning out some of warthog 'mane' to get everything in frame? Although it would be a little tight, a least people won't be drawn to what is cut off.

Dumay de Boulle
06-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Lovely detail and shooting angle. I like the tail...I find my self wishing for the light from a different angle. I seem to see a slight magenta /purple cast in the nose and body. Love the BG... TFS Steve!

Andreas Liedmann
06-25-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi Steve,
great shooting angle,like the contrast of FG and BG.Good detail and nice eye contact.
It is a bit tight for my taste,a shame that you cut off the tip of the hairs.
The colors on the hog are bit off,easy to correct though.

Cheers Andreas

Andrew Merwin
06-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Since I have never seen a warthog, I am unable to comment on the color. For all I know, they are purple. :bg3: Except for the tightness in the frame, I like the image. I think the side lighting adds definition. The sharpness on the face is great since this is the most interesting part of this beast.

Morkel Erasmus
06-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Love the low angle and the BG is excellent, especially considering where they normally hang around...
I too see a tinge of purple/magenta in the pig, but you are very adept at correcting that so I won't make a repost :S3:.
I hear you about them coming closer without consideration for fixed lenses! :eek3: Would have loved the entire mane in - but so would you...

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Does anyone use ProPhoto in their colour management set-up, if so have you noticed any colour swing, ditto in the OS Lion?

Would have loved the entire mane in - but so would you...
Yep, that is why I preempted in the intro and can understand your frustration/comment too Morkel in your previous posting.

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Does anyone use ProPhoto in their colour management set-up, if so have you noticed any colour swing, ditto in the OS Lion?

I start out with all RAW conversions into ProPhoto, but currently using a Windows system and haven't noticed a colour shift? :t3

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Not sure if it's now an OS issue? Thanks

NO, it was a Curves adjustment from what I can see, the Red channel had been adjusted rather than the RGB, I hope:Whoa!: DOH!

Andreas Liedmann
06-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Dear Morkel and Steve
why do you choose Pro Photo RGB as color space?
Any specific reason,i know it is wider but later on you cannot use all the colors,simply the other c-spaces are smaller (as far as i know).

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Steve - I was about to go calibrate my monitor when I opened this up because I too saw the magenta cast and you're never off on color:bg3:. Good thing I read the other comments. These experiences are good reasons to carry a zoom on your second body for the versatility. Nits have been covered above.

TFS,
Rachel

RakeshDhareshwar
06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Love the idea !!! Would have loved some space around and there is a bit of magenta cast . Same reaction as Rachel :)

Ken Watkins
06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Not reallt to sure why you would chose to lay under a vehicle to get a shot of a relatively small warthog, why not just sit on the ground.

Cliping allready mentioned as a major issue, also colour cast