PDA

View Full Version : Tigerwing Butterfly.

Bob Miller
06-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Took this beauty's photograph at an indoor butterfly exhibit. It normally is found from Mexico to the Amazon

Nikon D3s
1/250 sec at f8
ISO 800
Tamron 180 macro
HH
All comments welcome!

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2012, 05:22 PM
The head and thorax are in focus but unfortunately the wings are not. Good detail in the eye and proboscis.
I get the impression that the colours are oversaturated - particularly the green background

Maureen Allen
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
It's such a challenge to try to photograph at the indoor butterfly exhibits. The one near me is very dark and doesn't allow tripods or flash.

Your butterfly is beautiful. If this were mine I might try to tone down the background color a bit, as Jonathan mentions.

Nick Palmieri
06-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Certainly a good exercise in exposure and composition when shooting at butterfly exhibits. You managed to capture a nice butterfly, and make a very nice composition and exposure. In addition to toning down the BG saturation, I would also remove the bright spot in the BG. TFS

Allen Sparks
06-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Hi Bob, you really nailed the focus on the head. Nice image. I agree with the suggestions above. Very nice image overall.

Allen

John Storjohann
06-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Bob, good suggestions have already been given...nice image, with somewhat over-saturated colors...and the splash of OOF color in the LRC draws my eye...I agree with Nick's suggestion of possibly evicting it. Hope to see more!

Steve Maxson
06-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi Bob. This is a striking specimen - must be freshly emerged. Nice view of the feeding tube and this also shows how the front legs are held up close to the body. You already have some excellent suggestions above - with which I agree. Another tweak you might consider is to carefully clone the fuzzy edges of the OOF portions of the antennae - this will make then appear a little sharper. :S3: Keep them coming!